In-person, or via video, custom-tailored one-on-one sessions for your unique needs.
Based on your needs, I can offer you a functional anatomy lesson, a Feldenkrais Functional Integration lesson, a personalized Awareness Through Movement lesson, or a combination. Everyone has a different learning style and preference in how they want the information presented.
A functional anatomy lesson consists of studying the location, size, and function of bones, joints, and muscles through studying anatomical models and illustrations, or viewing animation or videos. We then integrate this information through palpation and movement explorations. I do not need to touch the client in this kind of lesson. Those who are not kinesthetic learners might respond best to this approach.
In a Feldenkrais Functional Integration lesson, I will guide you through movement explorations using gentle, non-invasive touch as the primary means of communication. Some people love the comforting, gentle touch of a traditional Feldenkrais Functional Integration lesson. I like to think of this gentle touch as “a mother’s touch.”
A personalized Awareness Through Movement lesson is like the group Awareness Through Movement class except the client gets one on one attention and I choose one particular lesson or a combination of lessons that would be helpful to the client. I will lead the client though the movement exploration by giving verbal instructions for slow, mindful movements. I do not need to touch the client in this kind of lesson.
What to expect:
- Before your session, we would have already had a phone/video conversation about what you’re interested in addressing or what got you interested in the Feldenkrais Method. [Book a free 20-minute consultation now]
- At the beginning of the session, I will ask you more questions and you can share your concerns. I might spend some time observing your movements.
- It’s likely that you will leave the office with a handout or notes on movement explorations you can do at home. You can decide if you want to try them at home. Some people thrive on detailed instructions and “homework” and some people don’t. You don’t have to do anything in between sessions if you don’t feel like it. My office is a no judgment zone.
- One of my goals is to keep you feeling comfortable throughout the session. If you are ever feeling anything but comfort, please speak up. Don’t tough it out. If you are feeling a bit cold or warm, please tell me. If there’s a finger that you don’t want me to touch, please let me know.
- You will remain clothed at all times. Please wear comfortable clothes for easy movement. Avoid wearing jeans.
Current office policies and other details:
WHAT TO BRING:
- Wear loose and comfortable clothing suitable for exercise. (Sweatpants or yoga pants, rather than jeans, for example.)
- Bring or wear socks.
- A comfortable N-95 (or equivalent) face mask that you can wear for the whole hour.
- For children, bring a snack and favorite toy.
- The New Client Information form and COVID-19 Screening form I sent to you, unless you already sent me an electronic version.
AFTER THE SESSION:
- Plan relaxing and non-stressful activities for the rest of your day.
- Avoid other modalities such as physical therapy, massage, yoga, etc. for 24 hours following your session, if possible.
- One hour Functional Integration® sessions are $100 per hour.
- Please make checks payable to Meerenai Shim.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Please bring exact change for cash payments.
- Thank you for observing my 24-hour cancelation policy.
- There is a large, short-haired, slobbery dog that lives on this property. She will not be present during your session and you will not see her at all. I try my best to keep the office space vacuumed and clear of dog hair and slobber but you might notice it if you are allergic to dogs. If you have a serious allergy to dogs, we will have to find an alternative location for lessons or I will help you find another practitioner.
- The Feldenkrais Method® is movement education and not a medical modality. This work is not a substitute for professional medical exam or advice. Please consult a medical doctor in all matters relating to physical or mental health.